Learn about the operating status of classes, lessons, ensembles, and special events during extreme weather conditions here. Our inclement weather policy is found at the bottom of this webpage; please scroll down to view.
OPERATING STATUS as of 3/17/20
Dear RCA Community,
We received communication from President Barchi indicating Rutgers University has suspended in-person instruction for the remainder of the spring semester, and cancelled all University events through May. You can read the full announcement, and view other COVID-19 resources on the University’s information page: http://coronavirus.rutgers.edu/.
Unfortunately, this means all Rutgers Community Arts group classes, ensembles, and events will be cancelled for the remainder of the academic year. This includes ABT, Rutgers Children’s Choir, Rutgers Youth Jazz Ensemble, Chamber Music, Music Together, Young Maestros, Drawing & Painting, and Animation. Rutgers Day has been cancelled, along with the Honors Recital, spring recitals, and spring ensemble performances.
Private lessons will continue where possible through remote instruction, which Ruthie Boyce has been working tirelessly this week to set up. We would like to thank the teachers and families for the efforts to continue instruction this spring through this new platform.
Ruthie will be in touch with each family/student directly regarding pro-rated refunds for missed classes and lessons. As you might imagine, this is a massive undertaking. We expect to respond to each family by the end of next week, 3/27.
The RCA staff are maintaining regular office hours, 9:30am-6:00pm, but we are working remotely. Email to email@example.com is the best option to reach us. You can also leave us a voice mail at 848-932-1500, which we are checking remotely several times daily.
We are all saddened to have our semester so abruptly disbanded. In the coming days and weeks we will be working with the RCA instructors to develop ways in which we can stay in touch, and maintain our connection to each other and the arts. Please stay tuned!
All Community Arts summer programs are currently expected to run as planned. We have adjusted our summer program policies to provide greater flexibility to families. Register now for summer and full refunds will be made through June 1 if necessary, no questions asked. We will continue to revisit these policies as new developments present themselves.
Thank you again for your patience and understanding. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the campuses of Rutgers as soon as possible.
2019-2020 OPERATING STATUS ARCHIVE
March 10, 2020
Rutgers University has announced a change to the University operating status in response to COVID-19, effective Thursday, March 12. Full information is available here. In short, classes are cancelled 3/12-3/22. Where possible, remote instruction will take place 3/23 through at least 4/3. All events are canceled through at least 4/15. Here’s how we are handling this at Community Arts:
- All group classes (ensembles, art & design, ballet, Music Together, and Young Maestros) are canceled from Wednesday, March 11 – Friday, April 3. We will provide updates as to whether we will be able to resume on Saturday, April 4 as the situation develops. We will attempt to extend the class meetings deeper into the spring, to make good on our planned instances. This of course depends on when we are clear to resume business as usual. Families will receive credits and/or refunds in the case we are not able to make up all of the class meetings.
- All RCA private lessons are cancelled from Thursday, March 12 – Sunday March 22. Private lessons will take place as scheduled on March 10 and March 11.
- Private lesson teachers will contact our office to let us know if they have the ability to teach their lessons remotely via Skype, Facetime, Webex, etc. Our office will then reach out to the students of the teachers who are available for remote instruction to see if they are able/interested to participate. We will use next week to work out possible new remote lesson schedules for teachers and students. We ask that you please wait until our office contacts you with information about possible remote lessons before you respond to us with your interest and availability.
- For students/teachers unable to participate in remote instruction, we will make use of the built in make-up weeks at the end of the semester. Families will receive credits and/or refunds in the case we are not able to make up all of the class meetings
- The NBPAC event on 3/11 is canceled
- The Music at the Museum event on 3/15 is canceled
- Auditions scheduled for RSAC and Summer Dance on 3/28 are canceled
- ABT exams will be rescheduled date TBD
Following the University’s guidelines for employees, all RCA staff will be working remotely effective March 13, 2020 through at least March 23, 2020. We will maintain regular business hours through email and check voicemail periodically to respond to your inquiries as quickly as possible. If you need to reach us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message on our main line at 848-932-1500. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this difficult period.
January 18, 2020
All lessons and classes beginning prior to 12:30 p.m. will take place as scheduled.
ABT Junior Conservatory is cancelled and will be rescheduled at a future date.
ABT PCC students are invited to attend class 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. in NMC 112.
The Art & Design Fall Art Show will take place as scheduled.
The Community Arts office will close at 2 p.m.
Monday, December 2, 2019
Due to the anticipated inclement weather all lessons are canceled for this evening, Monday, December 2nd. This includes lessons at Wardlaw + Hartridge as well.
Makeups will be scheduled during make-up weeks at the end of the semester, or by working with your instructor and the Community Arts office.
The Community Arts Office will close at 2:30pm, and reopen at 9:30am on Tuesday, December 3.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
- The Rutgers Community Arts Inclement Weather Policy is found below and online.
- If Rutgers University cancels classes due to inclement weather, Community Arts will also cancel classes.
- Please refer to the Rutgers Campus Status Page or call the Community Arts office at 848-932-1500 for closure notices.
In the event of inclement weather, we will post notice of our operating status on this page which is linked from our website homepage, and on our Facebook page. We will also notify you via email, and update our office voicemail message when weather events impact our operating status.